Rob Klever Chris Guyer
Richard Gordon David Mishkin
Brian Mcmichael Marjian Siadat
Julie Nguyen Allison Loynd
Answer to Case 1.1
1. What is the diagnosis based from the radiograph?
2. What radiographic view is this?
3. What is the Emergency Department treatment?
1. Dislocation of the patella (Lateral)
2. Sunrise– This is called the sunrise view because the patella appears to be rising over the horizon.
- used to image a tangential view of the patella
- the patient is prone with the knee flexed 115 deg
- taken parallel to the axis of the lower extremity
3. Closed reduction: flex hip, extend at knee, apply superomedial force to the patella
Thank you for everyone who submitted an answer. Please stay tuned for next week’s radER.
radER is a weekly contest consisting of a radiograph selected from various areas of emergency medicine that are central to the education of medical students and residents in training.
Filed under: radER |